PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 22:50
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no evidence of what the rudder forces were and the relationship to those acceptable to the certification authority, or even if the simulator was in any way representative of the aircraft under these circumstances.
Typically acceptable rudder forces, these days (they change with the certification basis) are about 200lbf. I known, as a typical unfit pilot, i could hold 400lbf rudder force for over 30 seconds in a no risk environment.
zzuf. Good point. And it’s unbelievable that the ATSB didn’t investigate this in the SIM. It also appears that the ATSB did not fly the accident profile in the SIM which I think defies explanation.

A different field, but the rule of thumb for race car braking forces is 2-2.5 times the diver weight. Or around 200kgf. When your back is braced (seat back), it’s surprising how much force you can sustain with your leg. Go to the gym and try a leg press machine.

There is a famous case are where Colin CHAPMAN forgot to allow for braking force in the space frame of a F1 car and the driver bent the frame during the first race.