PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Primera Air
Thread: Primera Air
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 17:11
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple aircraft types
Too many small bases remote from each other (worse next year)
Over-rapid expansion
Lack of resilience causing sub-chartering or cancellations
No economies of scale vs. competitors
Lack of brand awareness
Whilst I don't wholly disagree I would hardly describe that as "solid reasoning" and sure you would beckon them slightly more if they had chosen LTN - (It's alright, I'm only saying).

They have undoubtedly had issues and I'm sure anyone from BHX would be first to agree, however, where they're different from previous ventures is the aircraft. It's a game-changer for sure, make no mistake about that.

I too find their expansion quite fast paced yet often where others have failed is to some extent little direction and strategy, but fundamentally a simple case of a lack of aircraft and crewing. Of course there has been major issues with both this year, arguably outside their control to an extent, but they have a firm order book for a good number of aircraft in a relatively short time-frame. They're not expanding much over the winter, but all these new aircraft will need places to fly to next summer, and it's only a matter of time before others start laying on lots of new capacity with these aircraft types.

I think you can argue little with the strategy they're taking and it's a mass-market product, unlike the likes of MaxJet, Eos, SilverJet etc. They're establishing themselves quite firmly with a focus on primary routes/city pairs, a low-cost competitor to the traditional full-service carriers, where they can really showcase their aircraft as their key strength to a clear cost advantage. They're too already showing a disciplined approach to routes that aren't working, ie the initial winter schedule to/from Boston which has become a seasonal operation.

On the whole, I remain quietly optimistic about Primera and look forward to what the future maybe holds for them.