PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF / RN Chinagraph Pencils (Cold War era) for Kneeboards
Old 20th Sep 2018, 21:32
ex82watcher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Scott,
I was at Eastern Radar (civil) during the 1980s,and we used these chinagraph pencils for writing on the 'edge-lit board',and also on the radar screen itself - there was no label display in those days,and we were presented with essentially a primary radar display,so in order to retain 'idents',it was necessary to write a/c callsigns on the tube.As it was overwhelmingly an RAF unit,I imagine they supplied the pencils,and they also provided the rolls of 4"x2" cloth (really meant for cleaning rifle barrels ) used for wiping it clear..As we were writing on dark backgrounds,our 'leads' were actually yellow or white,and the plastic pencils themselves were either red or yellow.When Eastern Civil closed,I grabbed a handful of these as they were surplus to requirements,and if you send me your address via PM,I'll post you one of each colour,new and unused.I've seen your display at Newark,and found it unusual &interesting.

Last edited by ex82watcher; 20th Sep 2018 at 22:11. Reason: typo