PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF / RN Chinagraph Pencils (Cold War era) for Kneeboards
Old 20th Sep 2018, 20:24
ScottBouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RAF / RN Chinagraph Pencils (Cold War era) for Kneeboards

Hi all,

I'm researching British flying clothing and equipment through the 50's to 80's for some web pages I've been writing to share my research, and this is a little detail I can't find any information on! I have a small collection, and thought I'd best document what I learn about it as I have a tendency to forget the details!

Can anyone shed any light on the specific Chinagraph pencils issued by the RAF / RN for use on kneebards in the RAF during the cold war era?

Were they a commercially available pencil? If so, which brand? What did they look like? Were they marked with Stores Ref Section numbers? What colours were they issued in? (And more questions along these lines!)

Does anyone have any knocking about form those days that they'd be willing to part with? I'd love to put one with my Mk2/2A and Mk4/4A flying coveralls, they would look much better with the right item in the pencil pocket! I also put my gear on show in Newark Air Museum once a year, so it'd go to some public use too if I can find one (or two)!

Do modern day aircrew still use these pencils or similar, or is there something else in use these days?

Many thanks, Scott.