PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet to transfer 1400 pilots licence from UK to Austria as a precaution to brexit
Old 19th Sep 2018, 18:37
a350pilots

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordomac
Is it not going to be ever so simple, again, like in the old days ? My UK licence authorised me to fly UK registered aircraft, anywhere in the world. Forget all this JAA , EASA , nonsense. If I wanted to get a job in the USA,I would need a FAA licence to fly N registered aircraft. I , one time , obtained a one-off FAA validation for ferry work or delivery but that was it. Want the licence ? Do the full ground-school and all the exams. We did the same to all others. Want the Uk Licence ? Do all the groundschool & writtens.

When Air Europe went to the wall, we were training the Italian division. But to fly UK registered aircraft, (AE-UK) the AE-Italians had to do all the writtens. Mamamia, poor devils ! They were a lot kinder to us when a select few were given jobs in AE Italy after the AE-Uk demise. We just had to do Air Law but that was nodded & winked away. Quickly, we were flying Italian Registered aircraft on UK licences with Italian Validation. My prized Uk licence was validated for Belgian registered aircraft for a Belgian job. Belgian ATPL given with no requirement for exams. In Holland, Dutch law was required. Transavia gave us a one week course, Dutch Law exam ( I failed and an Oral was required...but that's another story....), passed & given a Dutch validation to fly Dutch registered aircraft all over the world. Finally, Oman just looked at my admired Uk licences and I was quickly ( we all were) given Oman ATPL to fly Oman Registered aircraft, all over the world. That was GulfAir. When the Bahrainis introduced their own CAA and Bahrain registered aircraft, Bahrain ATPL was awarded on verification of the Oman Licence. There was never a validation on the UK Licence but an issue of the local licence on presentation of the Uk one. See how easy it is and has nothing to do with geographical airspace..

Post Brixit,let's just get on with a UK CAA/ARB and fly UK registered aircraft anywhere in the world. It really is that simple. Should you want to fly foreign registered aircraft, you would need the issue of that Country's licence either by validation of the Uk licence or whatever they require.

Oh just remembered, AE casualties who secured employment in Japan had to do the full Jap ATPL. Those who went to Condor, equally, full German ATP. Blimey, made mu Dutch Oral quite a pleasant experience !
You forget that the UK CAA of past is not the same CAA of the present.
Much manpower and resources had been outsourced to EASA.
Your argumentation is therefore flawed.