PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:17
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris the Robot
I'm in my mid-twenties and I'm tempted to start modular over the next six months or so, there are however a few practicalities that I'm thinking about.

Piloting is the only career that I would rather do than my current job (train driving), that means I'm going to want a way back in to my current career if the airline world doesn't work out or if I can't find a job. It might be difficult to get back into a train driving career if I've been out of the driving cab for more than 12-18 months.

I have a three-month notice period, this is standard in my job regardless of employer. Would this be a problem for airlines looking to recruit? I certainly know of one or two cadet programmes it could potentially rule me out of.

It would be difficult to get six weeks off straight to do a JOC-MCC (particularly an APS one), there's a possibility that I would need to resign to start one of these (though it is a very long way off to be honest). A lot of the leave at my work (about 4/7ths of it) is pre-allocated by the employer, including a two weeks block.

I am tempted by the idea of pursuing the PPL, then doing CPL theory and an FI rating and instructing part-time around my current job for a couple of years, then if/when I did the MCC-JOC, I'd potentially have something to go full-time to providing an income of sorts (albeit perhaps limited). A lot of cadet programmes (I'm thinking any loan guaranteed/fully funded ones only if I'd reached this point) say that a candidate must not have started ATPL theory, would a CPL theory/FI rating be a bit much for them? I did happen to meet a microlight instructor at a cadet programme assessment but that's a wholly different licencing scenario.

Alternatively, I could look to save for the next five years or so and look to do one of the self-funded mentored cadet programmes up-front cash, albeit with a very limited powered flying background. No mortgage or spouse/kids at the moment.
Just take it one step at a time...do your PPL, see how you feel, and how much money you have, and then go from there. The only "job quitting" point is after ATPL theory and hours building. By that point you will have a better idea of the market, and if you're doing all those courses and spending all that money, you'll want a job flying at the end of it any way, and not hal your foot in the door and half out....the ratings expire etc. So I think it is best to plan for not going back to your current job after it. Well that is my plan at the moment any way.

Out of interest how old are you? Mid 25 + waiting 5 years is 30, and OK. Any older, and I would say don't wait 5 years. I am 28, and hope to finish by 30...I feel like I'm on the old side for sure.