PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:47
ash666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VentureGo
Newcastle seem to be under-performing substantially when compared to similarly sized UK airports over the past decade. Despite adding Dubai to the destination board the airport is still well behind peak levels of passenger numbers achieved over 10 years ago.The sales business development team would be out of a job in any other commercial operation. Domestic routes have seen significant decline, also services to Copenhagen,Oslo, Stavanger and Bergen no longer available in any kind of regular volume (Used to be operated by Daily Braathens (now Norwegian?!) Boeing 737 back then)
Newcastle Airport were forecasting 10million passengers by now and yet only achieved 5.3m last year. Bristol by comparison from a similar level in 2007 achieved 8.3m last year. Other regional airports have similarly grown since the depression of 2008.

I wonder if anyone can identify exactly where routes with volume number of passengers have been lost from those years (circa and before 2007 - before Emirates and LCC gains)

Route Development and Marketing teams at Airport should be brought to task on such a terrible under performance.
I hope their ambitions won't backfire on them.
When it's the only significant airport in the area it should be doing better,

I had a very smooth passage through the airport yesterday, though the mystery remains how my hand luggage went into the xray machine in a basket but came out on its own, though they could do with buying a new belt getting the bags on and off the planes. I didn't know a motor could turn so slowly and lots of wasted time by the baggage handlers waiting for the next case to come down.