PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ - Joint List
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 04:13
Ollie Onion

Received 203 Likes on 67 Posts
The only way forward for pilot supply and career path is to have a group list, by implementing a group list there will be some short term ‘pain’, there always is. The SO position is a perfect one for ‘Cadet’ level pilots, the entry into Air NZ would be via the SO ‘Cadet’ position, FO Turbo Props or FO A320 (if jet time). It makes sense that the FO turbo prop should be paid more than the SO Jet and both should be paid less than the FO A320, that then creates as path where pilots won’t just wait out their time in seats where their experience could be used better elsewhere because of financial reasons. External Pilots who want to work for Air NZ will still apply, when I was overseas and looking to come back I would have taken either an FO position on Turbo Prop or Jet especially if it got me a seniority number on the group list, fact was though at the time Air NZ Jet weren’t hiring and Air Nelson required recent NZ experience at the time so I went down another path. Yes it does away with the ‘well paid SO rank eventually but surely this is just the way of the world, when all the dust settles then the career SO Jet, FO turbo Prop, FO Jet, then CP Turboprop, FO Longhaul and CP anywhere should be a great career.