PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union representation let down
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 22:40
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
I believe the lack of strength of 'unions' stems wholly from the western world's addiction to debt. The main aim of everyone starting a career (I believe) should be to set about equaling their income from independent means as soon as possible. What people tend to do is go on the big holiday, buy the car, boat, big house and as soon as they have done that they are 'owned' by their employer completely. I rang the union during the lockout and suggested no-one should return to work (for whatever reason) until Joyce was gone and sensible management installed. The answer I got was that it was a good idea, but very few would be able to exist without their salary for any time at all. I responded I felt we couldn't afford NOT to.

You load up yourself with debt laden trinkets and you can expect to have that situation used against you. Legislation is a certainly a factor, but it couldn't be used the way it has been by the truly abominable and incompetent management of Qantas if people didn't 'need' their Joyce sanctioned salary. Relying on the generosity (not to mention business acumen) from the likes of Joyce is an exercise in abject stupidity!