PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 07:28
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
I'm not quibbling with the full title for the United Kingdom that was adopted following partition. The title United Kingdom has been used inter alia from the get go, whether it be for Great Britain, or Great Britain and Ireland. Thus Harley Quinn is right, the United Kingdom has existed as an entity, albeit an evolving one, longer than most European countries have existed. Far from being thread drift it is entirely pertinent to the formation of a European Union Army. We had a Union Army and we all know how it was used to enforce the Union. If the European Union survives half as long as the United Kingdom it will be in no small measure thanks to the European Union Army. I for one would not wish to be a part of that Union.

Do you want to be part of the United Kingdom then? If so, why?
Also, the UK has never had a "Union Army" that "enforced the Union". The first army that could arguably be described as a British army was the New Model Army (NMA), which enforced the will of Parliament against the King. With the exception of Ireland/Northern Ireland, the British Army that followed the NMA has never has to "enforce the Union" in the way that you purport a (non-existent) EU Army would have to do for the European Union.

I'm really not quite sure what analogy you are trying to draw between the British Army and the (non-existent) EU Army, but your attempts to draw one come across as a little laboured and wide of the mark if I'm honest.