PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A321 landed despite go-around order
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 20:21
Rabski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AerocatS2A
Yeah. The guy who swapped the radios with me was the Capt and he wasn't happy with himself.

We actually had a company policy at the time to have both radios tuned to the appropriate frequency when in the terminal area (starting with Approach or Ground). En route we'd have the second one on 121.5 or company if required. So he managed to switch both radios automatically without thinking about it.
We all like to think we are faultless, but if I'm honest, the few (thankfully) f**kups we make are usually the dumbest ones. I did the 'flaps to zero instead of gear up', which did not go down well at the time. Fortunately, I never did it the other way round... I'm a bit fussy about comms though, because my very first ever instructor thought that comm settings and altimeter settings were 99% of keeping it in one piece. Actually, I think now that he was pretty well spot on. Being in communication with people on the ground and knowing how far away from it you are equate to probably the two most vital things, even if everything else has gone to bits.