PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 3rd Sep 2018, 05:49
felixthecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My big questions are:
Expected timeline to Captain after start date at Emirates?
5-7 years depending on experience and compitence

Are you type Frozen on the 777 when you start if you want to switch to the A380? And if so how long?
You are frozen on type for 5 years (from memory, and to move types it is on company requirement not personal preference)

What are the layover times (ie: DXB-SEA 14hr 10 min flt, or DXB-SFO 16hr 40min flt)
48hrs on these two, but there are other equally long flights with only 24hrs. Majority of layovers are 24 hours.

Is the housing allowance gone now and unable to opt out of the company crew accommodations and get your own place? (ie: the $5100 dollar house allowance)
Only get the allowance if you opt to buy a property in Dubai. You don't get it to use for rental. Also the allowance is NOT $5100, more like $4400 but as I said that is only for property purchase. To buy a property in Dubai you will need to factor on around spending 30% of the property price in costs and minimum deposit.

How much can you actually save a pay check? (Assuming an average lifestyle nothing to extravagant)
Depends on you, if you have a family, wife, kids etc. Dubai is very expensive. As an FO not a huge amount. As a captain a little more. Don't expect huge savings. So many think this but it is not a reality.

I did the math based on a 2% increase yearly and a upgrade after 3 years that you could presumably save $3.32 million if you stayed 15years and saved every penny.
I don't know where your maths get that figure. A captain living in company accommodation earns around 45,000 Aed a month +/-. 540,000 per year. 15 years =8,100,000 Aed or $2,205,000. Thats if you joined as a captain and spend NOTHING, not $1. Still a million short of your $3.2. You MAY get the 3% annual increase, you may not. It has happened several times that you get nothing. Inflation in Dubai is high and is higher than any 3% increase.

How expensive are groceries if you wanna lead a healthy lifestyle? (Average weekly costs)
Expensive and it varies where you cost. Think of New York, London prices. If you drink at all then its far higher. $20 a beer for example.

Do they actually charge a 150% VAT on alcohol now on duty free if you bring some in from a pairing?
Yes, but not 150% VAT but ancillary charges that are in effect 150%

Also how expensive is it to go to the liquor store with your liquor permit card and discounts through Emirates?
Very! This is probably why they put all the charges on bringing in duty free. The crews would buy overseas so they didn't have to pay the sky high alcohol prices.

Last edited by felixthecat; 3rd Sep 2018 at 06:54.