PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senator John McCain
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2018, 14:04
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airbubba
Thanks , as you probably know NAS Meridian is McCain Field, named after the Senator's Naval Aviator grandfather.
McCain holds fond memories of NAS Meridian, ties to family

By Elton Hayes Jul 9, 2016

EDITOR'S NOTE: First published July 9, 2016.

While it has been more than 50 years since U.S. Sen. John McCain resided in Meridian, the former naval aviator hasn’t forgotten his time spent as a flight instructor in the Queen City.

Long before the once-Republican presidential nominee entered a career in politics, McCain, R-Arizona, spent a portion of the 1960s in Lauderdale County.
As Naval Air Station Meridian celebrates its 55th anniversary this week, McCain reflected on his time in East Mississippi.

“The people of Meridian are the most pro-military of any who I have ever known, and I can’t tell you what wonderful memories I have there,” McCain said this week in a telephone interview. “Of course, I’m proud that the field is named in memory of my grandfather.”

McCain’s Mississippi connection spans past the 2 1/2 years he spent as a flight instructor at NAS Meridian. His grandfather, John S. McCain Sr., was born in Carroll County.

The senator said he’s honored to have served as an instructor at the airfield that bears his grandfather’s name.

“It means a lot,” McCain said. “It’s a wonderful place. So many brave young men and women go through there, and it’s a great experience for all of them. To have the privilege of teaching was really one of the enjoyable periods of my life.”

McCain holds fond memories of NAS Meridian, ties to family News meridianstar.com