PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2018, 12:39
sitigeltfel

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
Old Bricks, I had a similar at Bisley during the Services Championships. Although not exactly OO/SDO, I was the RAF Liaison Officer with the Army who ran the camp during the meeting.

Drunken and violent airman pinned down at the base of a hedge by 4 or more colleagues one evening. I summoned formal assistance from the camp Guardroom, which materialised in the form of a Landy and 2-3 Gurhas armed with pickaxe handles. I encouraged them to avoid using their implements, as they back-pedalled him to the Landy, hurled him into the back, sat on him and set off for the Proper Guardroom at Pirbright (then the Guards’ Depot) with me in my Landy in hot pursuit. I arrived to hear the slamming of a cell door and the bellowing of the Staff Sergeant Guard Commander, who appeared to be in full control of proceedings. He and I sorted out some Admin details, but the airman was getting restless and banging on his cell door. The consequential “BE QUIET” must have been audible in Guildford!

Airman returned to Unit the next day, presumably with supporting paperwork by a separate route, for action there ... leaving his Station Shooting Team one man short.
I was at the inter services meet in 1973 when the Gurkhas did all the camp donkey work. At that time a lot of the teams had their own bar/clubhouse and the Nepalese lads preferred to drink at the Royal Marines bar. One evening, at closing time, they were "reluctant" to stop drinking and leave. The RMP were called and after negotiations had failed, their boss told the dog handlers to send the dogs in. Cue lots of little brown men jumping out of the windows! Dogs seemed to be the only thing they were afraid of.