PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2018, 06:44
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
There is an 'urban legend,' and I have no idea of its veracity, that the earlier a pilot retires, the longer they live. Could this be a factor in the health of older (past retirement age) pilots? Of course mortality is one thing to look at, what other factors are relevant? Cognitive decline has been mentioned, the natural bias that increases with age to not admit fault, gradual (between medicals) as well as sudden in capitation, they all spring to mind without any deep analysis.
​​​​​​On a personal level I found that after 20 years in the RAF, commercial flying was well paid but unrewarding most of the time, the level of thrill was rarely there. As soon as it became financially viable I left. I still fly, but how and when I want and frequently upside down!
From a philosophical point of view I can understand what is essentially an Anarchic argument against a blanket rule, but I can also see that from a Utilitarian point there is little, if any, progress toward a greater benefit for the greatest number of people.

Last edited by beardy; 31st Aug 2018 at 07:02.