PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2018, 18:04
Danny42C

Ormeside,

I was on 20 Squadron at Valley from 20/3/50 to disbandment on 19/9/51, so you must've been there with me. I was on "B" Flight, (Flt Cmdr "Willie" Hewlett, also PMC). "Red" Dunningham had the other flight, I think. "Boss" was Alex Hindley (and you couldn't have a better one). I remember "Joe" Halkiew, of course, but never knew "Zed-Zed" Zmitrowitz had the Christian (?) name "Zenon". The Squadron had Spit XVIs and Vampires III and V, everbody flew both, but only Joe, Z-Z, the Boss and Willie flew the Beau, as I recall. The Station (Wg Cdr J.E.T. Haile) had a Harvard and a TM, but don't remember any Oxford. Perhaps the AFS brought one in - they were using the Oxfords as a lead-in to the Meteor (which never struck me as a good idea) as late as 1954.

You must've enjoyed my many Posts on my Valley time in "Pilot's Brevet". Did you hear the story of the disastrous "Beauty Competiton", which was supposed to have taken place in 1949 (before I came) ?

We must've PM'd at one time, as I know your name - you must know mine ! (I had that little green Bond "Minicar" from May, 1950). My 18 months there was a very pleasant one - Ann (from Bangor), where are you now ?

Small world ! Happy days ! Danny.