PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2018, 22:01
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
March 65. Just celebrated 21st Birthday and 1 Years seniority as a Fg Off at Tengah.( It was hell, but somebody had to do it ). I returned from a detachment in Borneo on the Friday afternoon to find I had been "volunteered" to be Station Orderly Officer on the Sunday. Sunday duly came with the standard hangover from Friday Happy Hour and the Saturday entertainment ( often a continuous event ). All was well until about 10am when there was a fire in an Airman's Married Quarter. No Casualties, so all was well. Then there was the Intruder Alert, some locals intent on a thieving mission. Then there was the alleged " attempted murder"( domestic) in an SNCO's Married Quarter. I inspected the Airman's Mess Lunch, but missed the Officers Mess Lunch as I was then called to talk to the Singapore Police about "an attempted suicide" by a Station airman trying to jump off a bridge in Singapore City, and arrange his recovery by the RAF Police and Medics.
Then I had to call in ATC, Fire Crews etc to meet An RAFG Canberra on detachment at Kuantan, which was arriving with an airman who was a Class A Compassionate Case to UK, The BOAC VC10 was being held at Payer Lebar until he arrived. I arranged for the Duty Storeman, Duty Armourer and Duty Clerk to meet the aircraft in the dispersal to relieve him of his kit and rifle and ammo and provide en-route documentation. The Duty Driver was on hand to speed him to Payer Lebar. A further fire and another "Domestic" occured during the rest of the afternoon. The usual Signals runs, Flag Wags, and inspection of the Airmen's meals were also completed.
I just made it to dinner, before it finished, to find a Flt Lt I did not know, also in uniform. I asked him why and he told me he was the Station Duty Officer and what a boring day he had had with nothing to do as he had had no calls at all!
It transpired that, whilst I was in Borneo, that the duties of OO and SDO had been split due to the work load during the Confrontation, and the Station Routine Order had not yet been issued. Hence nobody on the station knew of the new arrangements and accordingly were calling the OO. I told the SDO he was now in charge and could read my report in the morning. I inspected the defaulters, checked the keys and retired to the bar for a couple(?) of well earned Tigers.