PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Launy for QF Training School
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2018, 02:36
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by angryrat
Qantas are quoting that there will be 500 trainees. I can’t see there being demand for 251 pilots per year for the Qantas Group alone.

In the QF recruitment thread it's being stated that they are looking for up to 200 per year for mainline alone, let alone Group and associated companies. The 500 figure was an aim to which this academy system could eventually ramp up to, which may include private students, foreign students etc.

I’m not here to knock the process but more as a warning to those that think it’ll be a forgone conclusion of a guaranteed job.
In the private sector there's zero guarantee of a job. You could get a confirmed position with an airline and start employment, the next week the company makes a loss and cuts it's numbers and you get made redundant. I do agree what happened to those cadets was disgraceful. Hopefully the same mistakes aren't made.

The job that you might get afterwards could possibly pay as little as 40 thousand a year.
I don't think there's an EBA within the group that pays that little except for training wages.
It's a great plan. Get people to pay $110k plus for a CPL and then tell them you can only pay them $60k because there is a oversupply of pilots.
Add up the price for a CPL, IR and other necessary training for an airline position from a normal flying school and you'll get a figure that's not too far off that price. With zero guarantees afterwards.

Last edited by dr dre; 24th Aug 2018 at 03:51.