PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 12:01
markkal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not worry too much about issues impairing your progression, don't make it a fixation. I reckon general handling is worrying you the most

If I could give you an advice, go take some tailwheel training, it will develop your skills, finesse and give you a sense of control boosting your confidence. In all aspects of your handling scenarios. The proper reflexes will replace mneumonics, no need to think before doing.

If you could progress to the point of doing your solo flight on a tailwheel aircraft, after say 10 hours you will reach a level of proficiency impossible to equate even with 1000 hours of flying with nosewheel trainers. Tailwheel handling imposes you to master handling skills at the very beginning of your training. It requires an awareness of speed, altitude, energy and flight path, possible only with coordination an a soft smooth touch at the controls.. Failing to master even one of these elements will end up in bent metal, countless bounces, or and a groundloop.

Please note that I am by no means asserting that standard nosewheel training is useless, far from that. But nosegear tricycles do not care how you taxi, take off, or put them into the ground.

Too fast, bounce and land long, too slow and hit the ground hard, sideways screeching the tyres not correcting for parallax or yaw, not flaring properly or not keeping the flare long enough and slamming the front wheel on the concrete, not controlling the decelerating portion swerving left and right...Add a crosswind component and enjoy the show.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am by no means advocating against nosewheel aircraft and instructors far from that.
Show me a nosewheel aircraft e.g. during landing, touching down near the desired spot, not bouncing along, not stalling before such point at 30 cm from the ground, thus indicating proper speed control, without the wheels screeching by hitting the ground sideways during contact, without the front wheel slamming into the ground a fraction of a second after the mains meaning the flare has been kept all along the way allowing for the nosewheel to ease effortlessy into the ground. Then you have a proficient pilot. It does not matter wether taildragger or nosewheel. Rare nonetheless on nosedraggers

Unfortunately looking at the typical flight school circuits and this at vitually every airfield I have been, shows me this is not happening.
Grotesque sloppy habits develop due to improper training possible only in noswheel a/c. And they affect not only students but most instructors as well.
This lack of finesse, coordination, and soft touch is also responsible for grotesque flying habits in the air, but during landing we have it well before our eyes to enjoy the show if we care to look.

Last edited by markkal; 18th Aug 2018 at 12:12.