PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2018, 09:45
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DoubleBarrel,

I too came from sailing tuition background, and I agree that sailing offers a lot more time for the teaching.

I dont think you are correct, instructors in aviation are a MAJOR influence on your progress. If you don't feel you can ask again what these mnemonics are, perhaps this isnt the right instructor for you.

The PPL tuition I receiced always started with a reminder of what was achieved last lesson, and a reminder of what to pay attention to on this upcoming flight. Often even combined with a little background groundschool, to make sure that I understood what the aim was, and how we would achieve that aim before even seeing the aeroplane. Then this was always followed by a thorough debrief of what we did, what was achieved and what could be improved. I was then given pointers on what I should read up on next for next week.

Everyone learns differently but this approach worked for me very well. I have since had instructors of all sorts, some with no debrief, some with marginal brief, some with quite a temper... etc... but I do find that you really need to find the right instructor for you, and your learning will be so much smoother! Dont be afraid to ask for another instructor!!

As for the taxiing, it is a smooth continuous pressure that you apply. Keep both feet on the rudder and as it is a push-pull system, you can control the amount you are turning with both feet, not just one. Do not be afraid to chop the power and use the brakes to slow down a little, take your time - I was always told that taxiing should always be at fast walking pace and no faster which will give you time to make corrections.

Regarding the yoke, I generally have a rule which is no more than 2 fingers. The plane will (to a certain extent) fly itself. You dont need to control the aeroplane in every little tiny bump, you just let it oscillate a little, similarly to sailing. If you were to overcontrol the rudder on a yacht in light-moderate swell, you will do more harm than good - same applies to flying. It is normal when you first start to be afraid and to grab hold of the yoke for your life, but try to relax, your instructor wont let you do something stupid anyway, so there is your backup!

For your early days, I would strongly recommend reading up on the manoeuvres that will be covered in the course. I used the Pooleys books, but a little theory, and a brief understanding of what will be required goes a hell of a long way. I also believe that these mnemonics are in the books too, it should give an explanation as to what you are looking for on each letter. If you spend some time learning them, and reciting them to yourself, it'll alleviate some of the stress and hopefully allow you to concentrate on your manoeuvre!

I hope this helps!
alex90