PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK pilot to work in the US as a CFI
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2018, 14:35
comandos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good news so far ? I know exactly how confusing this process can be cause am almost going through the same process I also have an EASA CPL ME IR and I passed all 14 subjects since 2016 , am in the states now with a green card and willing to convert my license to an FAA and get a CFI rating afterwards , i’ll Share what I realized so far regarding the process starting from EASA to Instructor so ,
first , You need to apply for a verification letter from the FAA which requires filling application form AC 8060-71 for foreign airmen certification branch and send it to the FAA via email address [email protected] after choosing the nearest FSDO ( flight standard district office ) in USA .
Second , after receiving the verification letter on email You have to WALK IN the selected FSDO which already received a copy of the verification letter and they’ll issue you an FAA restricted PPL .
Third , since the required hours for FAA CPL issuance are 250 which I have already 233 of them you need to apply for an aviation school which will help with assessment of all your flying hours and what’s missing
On exercises such as night cross country flights , landings , approaches.....etc
fourth , sit for CPL written exam and IR written exam to be prepared for combined FAA CPL IR skill test with a certified examiner after completion of missing hours and endorsement by most likely chief instructor or head of training .
fifth , after passing the Skill test You can start CFI training which will combine 30 hours of flight training and 40 hours of ground instruction and after completion You can start instructing building hours towards ATPL 1500 required hours .
Note :
You can sit for ATPL written exam which valid for 5 years after passing CPL and IR written exams straight but , the issuance of ATP license requires 1500 hours total time and a separate check ride with a certified examiner .
This is the process and steps if you decided to go the FAA way .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AC8060-71.pdf (1.14 MB, 4 views)