PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many aircraft have you flown in - in your life time ??
Old 16th Aug 2018, 09:58
pax britanica

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
What a great thread and havent some people ahd the most fantastic experiences, very mean spirited I think for peopel to characterise it as boasting.

I have flown almost exclusively airline types and pretty much every mark or Airbus?minibus 737 and DC9/MD80 plus DC8s and tridents. Nothign very exceptional really -maybe the rarerest would be Standard Vc10 and its Russian Equivalent (well more like a Super I know) IL -62, maye an F28 isnt that common either. A bit better when it comes to varients maybe DC9-20 I think which was only made for SAS and had the original short body but the -30 wings . Amusing to see these little birds at Arlanda alongside an MD80 , the ultimate stretch. SAS liked a bit of exclsuivity since i think they were the only original owners of DC9-40s whch were semi stretched 30s. rarer but relatively common back in the day 707-400s DC8 40s and DC8 62s

The IL62 was CSA from LHR to Prague and was a very cool flight, nice spacious airplane , terrific performance on a short trip and fantastic spool up noise as we started the take off run. Excellent in flight service too starting with a large glass of Czech bear to acquaint the westerners and restore expat Czechs faith in the brewing industry. This was back in the communist days of course but Prague was still a fantastic place to visit, in some ways better than today now it is over run with tourists.

If one was starting out on this list today or any time in the last 5 years It would be alot shorter whn it came to airline types and likely to remain a lot shorter as there is little diversity at all now and at places like Stamnstead you could probably go all day seeing dozens of aircraft but only three or four airliner types