PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viability of G3 vs G4
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2018, 01:19
Old Boeing Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well now....

Originally Posted by Catorce14
For the short and infrequent trips I would make, it seems like contract pilots would be the way to go. One one directory, for the Lear 55 for example, there are literally pages and pages of them with their day rates posted. I'd probably build up a stable of trusted ones and use them as required. I really don't see the point of annually hiring a pilot and copilot - it would probably be a very unrewarding gig for them based upon my frequency of travel.

And it's not like I have to leave "this minute". I would gave days, even weeks of notice. My life is just not that rapidly evolving that I need to have a pilot in the cockpit keeping the engines warm.
You are really opening up a can of worms now.

How would you determine which pilots to trust with your life and your family's lives. Do you have the knowledge to know which one to pick?

I realize it would be a similar situation as chartering, but a company that employs, trains, and evaluates its pilots on a regular basis is far more likely to have quality pilots.

Not saying there aren't some quality contract guys out there.

The quality guys are usually high in demand and hard to get even with several days or weeks notice.

For a really good outfit in SOCAL, look at Clay Lacy as an example. Maybe do a sample charter with them, or some other reputable company there.

If you think that owning and operating a plane on your own is really for you, then go for it.