PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2018, 06:17
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliAl
Having passed through the airport today. It was a shambles. Only one girl on the security into the passenger clearance hall, therefore a tail back all the way along the upper level and kids with parents at 6 in the morning crying and getting frustrated. (Staffing!!)
Only 2 security belts working and in sufficient staff to clear passenger.
The staff on duty were doing their best, but with no management support. How will they cope with Ryanair next year??
Ryanair will be a turning point where the complaints start to outnumber the praises. Stobart won’t care, as passengers means income, I doubt if the majority here will care either and will demand more and more aircraft and routes.

Do folk here really want a mini me Luton? Where is the line drawn? I saw Southend as maybe an oasis, which I know is not the way to run an asset but it will be a sad day for me if the airport becomes just another place to have a moan about and to avoid.

So come summer 2019 will SEN have enough check-in desks, security lanes, enough seating both airside and landslide and enough baggage belts etc? Will the terminal be going 24 hour? I would have thought staffing levels are easy to fix if Stobart is willing to spend some money but is the terminal ready? I hope it is not going to have to play catch-up while passengers queue to get through the front door.

Strange though that it was only a few months ago that Southend seemed to be somewhat under used and now I am talking about maybe too many passengers but if the terminal is fairly small the tipping point could come quicker than people expect.

As I have yet to visit the new terminal maybe it is a lot bigger than I think. So what is the sqm of the terminal? By way of comparison Luton is now nudging 90,000sqm for a capacity of 18 million although that is pushing it somewhat.