PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viability of G3 vs G4
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2018, 03:48
gbruton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickseeman
I love Gulfstreams but they (or any large jet) are maintenance hogs. It's a lot worse than you can imagine. One of the posters above put down $10,000 per year for the hangar. He must not be the one paying for hangar space. I pay hangar space and I say the cost would be at least 10 times that. Truthfully large cabin aircraft need their own hangar because the mechanic will be doing small inspections on a constant basis.The CMP on a large aircraft is nearly 400 pages if that gives you an idea how much there is to do. You are in the same situation my brother was in. Wondering if this large cabin jet thing is a good idea. In time you might end up with a Gulfstream but why not get your feet wet with a mid-size first. As you operate it you will learn about maintenance, hangars and mechanics. If you like how it goes you might buy yourself a Gulfstream size hangar, build a relationship with a part time mechanic on the field and get yourself in position. Now you are ready. For now Lear 55's are nearly free (I only recommend the 55 instead of the 60 because they are cheaper and there are a zillion Lear pilots around, Lear 60 is a different type rating) the maintenance is cheap (relatively speaking) and they are beautiful. Last year the most perfect 55C imaginable was for sale asking $895,000.

I pay for the hangar space. I put 10k down as a EXTREMELY conservative number based on your post stating how the "po boys" do it.
I assumed after that post/statement a hangar might not even be part of your budget or mindset. But thanks for proving me right and adding another 100k to your GIII fling bringing it to 24k a hour to operate. It also sounds like your tone is changing overall and aligning with what everyone stated from the start......ironic.