PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2018, 08:17
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterboy
The only problem is spending too much time at work enjoying yourself. Hence the old cliché of the BA skipper on his/her third spouse. It can be difficult holding down a home life as the long haul part of the job is great fun, if tiring, staying in pretty decent hotels with like-minded people, especially now legacy crews are on the decline. The danger is it is possible to treat the job as one long holiday, to the detriment of loved ones at home.

I’m hoping the above is slightly TIC, at least in part...I know it can be “fun” at times but I don’t think I’ve heard the day stop DXB being described as fun, there are other some real "bullets" with almost minimum rest, and the joys of one or two of our ME/African slips....As to the “like minded people” ..well if it is who I am thinking of they can be a breath of fresh air but they can also sometimes produce some real "duty of care" issues for the senior managers on the crew, who have been known to end up sorting out problems with management and/or medics and/or others at oh’dark thirty in the morning...

I would however agree on balance Long Haul is isn’t a bad gig, and certainly better than SH at BA but it’s not all a bed of roses, and BTW top tip - the trick to being a BA skipper on their first marriage after 30 plus years (and despite rumours and stereotyping there are a lot of us about) is not doing anything stupid and not going home and telling the other half what a fantastic time you just had.. .

Last edited by wiggy; 12th Aug 2018 at 15:35. Reason: TLC > TIC..