PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Oakland (our new hotel destination for SFO)
Old 9th Aug 2018, 20:32
Brown Nose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armchairpilot94116

Very true. Basing SFO crews in Oakland is insane due to the Bay Bridge being a nightmare most of the time and basically impassable some of the time.

I live in the East Bay and go past the Marriott most days of the week. I don’t know how the hotel is but the area is not all bad. In the daytime it’s really no worse than downtown SF. And at night I’m not sure downtown SF is better now either.

Want to party at night? You are only a short Uber ride to Piedmont which is a rich and safe area with many restaurants .
A few miles further is Rockridge area which is safe and has many restaurants slightly further is the college town of Berkeley, lots to do. I go there most days and it’s safe even late at night.

Walk a few steps and take Bart to the very nice and very safe town of Walnut Creek about 12 miles north Take Uber back at night. BART can be sketchy at night and some BART stations not the best...like in Oakland.

Crews based at the Marriott for a few days can go to many nice places and honestly there is no need to miss SF. I almost never go there now...no reason to.

But SFO crew in Oakland is logistically bad. SF is far from SFO, Oakland is going further in the wrong direction.

Yes, but can you step outside at 3 am (lunch time in HK) and get a feed within walking distance? No? not a suitable hotel then