PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton And Linton-on-Ouse Closure
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 17:34
The Oberon

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Had lunch today with a retired electrical engineer who worked on the Bomber bases. He recalled an issue 30 years ago when the closure of Scampton was muted, not the A15 question but the underground pipeline installation.

I know bomber bases had an early hydrant fuel system installed when the airfields were reconstructed in the 50s but these were never, to my knowledge, used. I was told they had gone rusty before being brought in to service.

He thought only 7 bases were so equipped. I know Waddington was and guess the other main bases were too. He thought that the remediation cost had led to its retention then.
I wondered about this, there is a rumour about up to 600 new builds on the airfield and along with all the other locals, Scampton Village, we wonder whether the "clean up" costs would make Scampton suitable for new housing. The old fuel pipeline, the old SSA and lots of other accidental spillages over the years. The other rumour is solar panels on the hard standings,with agricultural on the green bits.
In addition to the Reds relocating, I haven't seen anything about Hawker Hunter Aviation. They have a fair number of airframes on site, wonder what their plans are?