PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Sues For Forced Retirement
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 17:15
uncle ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Employment Tribunal

I'm the rotary pilot who took the CAA to the employment Tribunal when I turned 60 back in 2007. As everyone knows I lost and the Tribunal ruling is posted under "Rotorheads".
As already stated the CAA acknowledged age discrimination but claimed it was permissible for "safety reasons" quoting very outdated statistics for the general population. This stuff has been well covered in this forum.

I'd just like to add that I was able to continue flying single pilot aerial work operations and only fully retired last year when I myself decided the time was right at age 70. My aerial work mostly involved aerial camera work for film and TV and, if I may say so, was very demanding of all my skills.To illustrate the folly of the CAA's position I was frequently flying over London at below 1000' (with CAA approvals in place) including over the Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Games.

Good luck to those of you who wish to exercise their right to employment in line with the general population and if I can be of any help feel free to ask (except for money, my case nearly wiped me out despite the generous help from many colleagues through PPRuNe forums).