PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2018, 11:28
SASless

Received 499 Likes on 208 Posts
I shall not accuse you of being a Prick....but you do miss the point as well.

I was merely pointing out that even in the Civvie side of helicopter aviation IN THE UK....(and confirmed by your post) we quite happily (as in routinely) operated in exactly the same kind of weather conditions while engaged in Public Transport.

You gloss over the fact that it was not uncommon for there to be a string of aircraft hovering across terrain seeking a flat bit of concrete with some white lettering on it.....and we did that repeatedly as a common practice.

When I taxied up to the wrong Dispersal having become lost ON the airport....to be greeted by a bearded, pipe smoking fellow wearing full British Helicopters garb to include the Bus Driver's Hat.....who informed me I had found the wrong nest but no. problem Tea was available while I waited for the Tractor.

Sorry...but we did operate in some really bad weather....as a practice.

I suggest there is not much difference between what we did....and what is seen in that video.

In the S-58T...we were doing that single pilot unlike the 61 where you had two pilots.....even at Night.

So in conclusion.....I am not bothered one bit by what was seen in the video.

The crew knew the area, there where no wires, the aircraft was off to the side of the roadway, and other than where it was located the same "risk" to the public could have occurred at any Dispersal with a car park or roadway on the other side of the Security Fence.

If that aircraft was a civilian public transport flight (but it appears not to be).....HEMS, Utility Operation, or privately owned....then different rules pertain and I would have objections as I would like to think we have progressed from "the good old days".

Over the years I have learned your Heart is in the right place but sometimes you tend to hold forth a bit loudly.

Think about it.....we done it too.

Should we be too vocal in our concerns about safety when we see others doing the same thing in a careful professional manner.