PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2018, 04:23
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Dave The ATC had ALWAYS been a training organisation for basic gliding instruction for Cadets to obtain their A&B certificates (BGA) and the (ATC) Gliding Proficiency Cert.
The organisation was geared up for that and used the most basic of equipment which (importantly) included the ground equipment frequently being operated by Cadets who stayed on after their initial course to assist the running of the 'School' (as was). There was no facility for 'out landings' or trailers to do a distance retrieve so the focus was on getting a young Cadet to solo standard thereby setting him off on a voyage of self discovery that no other organisation could offer. This was the Corps USP, and it achieved this amazing feat by utilising a cadre of actual Cadets to assist in the running of the schools. As a C cat Cadet on the school I was instructing other Cadets; having been winched up by another Cadet, and towed back to the launch point by yet another one. 14,000+ hours later I still marvel at how well it all worked and how we managed to get a Cadet solo in so few short launches. When you only have 3mins to impart useful information on a 'one way' (we talk they listen) system then it really concentrates the mind on what is important and ensuring the briefing is not over complicated. Yes we did some soaring (and strayed out of the circuit if you could get away with it) (if time allowed) but it was not what the ATC was about, and the instructing that was needed had to fit in with very short flights in very basic machines. The standard of instruction was very good for what was needed, and a Silver C would not have added any real benefit to do that job although some keen types did go for it. Oh I forgot all this was done with a minimum of paperwork, but a high % of capability from the w-end warriors who were back at work on Monday mornings (waiting for the next w-end). Cadets teaching other Cadets and all working together to keep the system running (my God what have they thrown away)
Well said Pobjoy.