PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it still worth doing AME in Australia?
Old 4th Aug 2018, 04:04
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Progressive
After 20 of years in the industry (mostly GA) I can say I loved every minute of it. The shortage of engineers will only get worse for at least the next 10 years thanks to the retirement rate and lack of new people coming in at the bottom. Even bend a lots "minimum LAME wage" of 64k PA is above the average national wage.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/fin...ages-revealed/

like the others I suggest door knocking before you fork out a fortune at AA.
Fair comment but what would be the average tradesman national wage?
The shortage of engineers is being plugged by new staff that are not engineers LAME to AME/Apprentice rates are growing. Also flying other than airlines is reducing.
64K in Darwin or Sydney is probably livable as a single guy never wanting to own a house and having kids.

Darwin actually pays LAME's pretty good in general under individual agreements - Sydney have many EBA's that are not that much more than the $64K and certainly lower than $70K.

The Modern Award is a pretty low bar, a few ads for LAME's with no takers for the low pay opens the door to foreign workers on visas. If they make the case it can lead to permanent residency there is a very large number of really good workers from a number of countries that would jump at the chance. South Africa springs to mind, it will be a standard of living drop but less chance of being shot for your BMW or phone.