PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 08:27
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do so many of you regular commentators constantly moan about the airport. The reality is that no current or future Scottish or UK Gov would sign off on significantly expanded EDI because of the Environmental Loby and Legally binding emission reduction targets. In addition who would put up the huge sums of cash needed (look at Manchester for example) to completely redevelop the airport from scratch. The volumes and ROCE is just not there now or in the future. It’s a pipe dream so please stop moaning and complaining because the reality is it’s not going to significantly change in our lifetime.

EDI is frankly no worse than many other airports around the world. We all don’t like get buses in from remote stands (EDI has plenty stands free every time I am through which is often) but this reality is the same for almost every major airport around the world. I have been bused in Dubai, Amsterdam, Istanbul Washington, Moscow etc. All these airports have their own faults, own queue issues and lack of this or poor that.

Bring on more routes, yes please....
You say you travel but having seen how much better others can do this, you suggest Scotland settles for the status quo?
Was there an ROI on nuclear power or the channel tunnel? No. Worth remembering that all three Scottish Lowland Airports were built to a decent standard by the taxpayer as a significant piece of national infrastructure. For example, in the US, that famed home of capitalism with stars and stripes, many airports run at a loss. Why? Because local government sees them as a driver of inbound tourism and business? Now have you seen just how much business EDI brings into Scotland? You can't move on the Royal Mile for Americans and Chinese coach parties in the summer. Second largest inbound destination in the UK.
So when you roll your eyes and say "the ROI just isn't there", what you really mean "short term shareholder profit just isn't there fast enough", which is why the plans for Scotland's busiest airport, our gateway to the world are c**p. The owners, being wholly private, will spend as little as they think they can get away with, exactly like Scottish Airports who splashed the cash on GLA as Scotland's long haul hub.
Are the EDI expansion plans remotely aspirational or risky? No, because that's modern Scotland (my homeland). That'll dae me ! written in corrugated iron.
BTW how are you getting all these new routes
Bring on more routes, yes please....
in a building that literally cannot deal with peak summer without huge delays.

Could it be better? Yes.
Should it be better? Yes
Will it better? No because Scotland just has no ambition, the best wee country in the world.
Ironically given the new bridge just over the hill, is there actually some determination left in Holyrood?