PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - more on pilot shortages
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 13:45
Global Aviator

Received 125 Likes on 62 Posts
I’ve got my FAA ATP along with several others. The most relevant one was the FAA by far, yes the theory was easy enough, but having studied others no doubt helped. No trick questions and relevant.

Now having that theory pass in the pocket is one thing.

Next up game day and the check ride. At the time mine was in a GA twin that I had little time on, loads of time on similar. Proceeded with a very thorough pre flight oral test, I tell ya every system well covered and a general discussion on other relevant topics. Into the aircraft and for me it was like a renewal times four! Mind you this was pre GPS in everything, VOR intercept and hold, NDB same, wicked 35 knot crosswind, the rest pretty straight forward.

However a no nonsense examiner who wanted to pass me, he wasn’t looking for reasons to fail me. After what seemed like eternity he said to me I have control... At that point butterflies in the belly, ok what did I screw up? Examiner, nothing! I knew you could fly after the engine failure at take off, had to make you tick the boxes now I want to fly!

So for me anyway FAA is a no nonsense approach.

No doubt I will be shot down now for something I’ve said.