PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display experience
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:11
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
I remember the Boscombe display very well, little did I know that within a year I would be controlling there.

Churh Femton late 70's. Crowd line marked by a piece of string on bamboo posts. About 30yds towards the runway were the stanchions holding the PA speakers. Just to our right a family were watching as we were but there was one lad, about 7 years old, who kept ducking under the string and running out to the speaker, round and back. He did this a few times until eventually RAF Police came and had a word with him and his folks. Discussion about "oh, he's only doing boy things, and no harm" etc. Anyway, told not to do it again.

5-mins later, off the kid scoots again heading out to the speaker; parents oblivious and not caring. What they hadn't seen though was the F4 coming in from the right in a very low and VERY fast fly-by. The kid dropped to the floor a gibbering wreck and his dad had to go and collect him. Last I saw was them leaving, dad fuming, mum nagging and the kid still trembling with distinctly urine-coloured patches down his trousers. :-) I bet that was an interesting journey home.