PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2018, 17:07
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
The tired old "symmetrical airfoil" argument is only appealing to those who believe that the stagnation point (point where airflow divides between under the wing and over the wing) on a symmetrical airfoil operating at a non-zero angle of attack is located on the airfoil's axis of symmetry. It's not. There are numerous wind tunnel photographs of symmetrical airfoils with smoke generator streamlines switch demonstrate the fallacy of this.

*sigh* the "equal transit time" strawman. That would only prove something if the equal transit time was some fundamental element of bernoulii's principle. In fact it is not. In fact, the air flowing over the "top" of the airfoil arrives at the trailing edge of the airfoil well before the air flowing beneath. This can be seen in wind tunnel photos and footage of pulsed smoke steamers flowing over air foils.
Sigh. You completely missed my tongue in cheek jibe in that post. My original point if you read my later post, is that we shouldn't be teaching incorrect science as fact to those at GCSE and even A Level Physics.

Having 30+ hours in labs in sub, trans and supersonic tunnels, I can testify to the above and stagnation point/ Kutta condition.

Unless your repose was as equally tongue in cheek of course.