PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting The Chop
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2018, 10:13
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogwi
I was chopped as an RN midshipman pilot on Wessex HAS 3 but eventually "made it" as the last RAF pilot to shoot down an enemy aircraft (in a Sea Harrier). Not sure what that proves, except never give up!!

I think it absolutely proves the maxim of "never give up !" From chopped helo l pilot to top scoring fighter pilot in the most demanding of circumstances in the South Atlantic, is no mean feat, in fact a truly extraordinary story ! By the way, "Hostile Skies" is a truly brilliant read !

But I was recently reminded of facing the "Chop" in a different way.

With a number of family and friends we attended the RAF 100 celebration at the Royal Albert Hall, superbly done.

One "item" was to celebrate the excellence and heroism of RAF aeromedical teams.

A young Marine captain, who had been rescued under fire and later brought back to the UK, both by the RAF stood ramrod straight on stage despite the loss of both legs AND an arm, after an IED explosion and as well as expressing his sincerest thanks to the teams said " never let anyone tell you you can't do something and never, ever give up" . For his amazing courage and dignity he, and the RAF teams, aircrew and aeromedics, received a highly emotional standing ovation.

This young officer had very nearly got the "chop" in a big way and was a shining example to us all.

Whenever my young grandson , who was with us at the RAH, faces a tough time I will remind him of that young man and the brilliance of the RAF medics and aircrews who saved him, and emphasise "Never, ever, give up".