PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military legal advice.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2018, 09:24
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to recall when I was in that group punishment was unlawful under QRs??? I certainly vetoed a group action once as a Sqn Ldr (and on a det as well). That said it would depend on the circumstances and scenarios as to whether a decision could be an operational one, or some sort of punitive "sheep dip" action.

I don't any of any truck with the "because I say so and I have rank" school of leadership, although I saw plenty of it. Effective leadership in the military should be more intelligent and capable than that and thankfully often is (was).

FWIW...I can remember the exact moment I thought, "this is no longer for me"... and subsequently pulled the PVR handle.

I was sitting on the steps to my portacabin in a hot sandy place watching the sunset and wondering why I could not sip a glass red wine in peace and tranquility, but I could trudge over to a bar built out of containers and get a shed on - on tinned beer - surrounded by dozens of sweaty pissed up airmen (and women) of all ranks and "demeanours".

"What am I...a fkn school kid", was my exact thought.