PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton And Linton-on-Ouse Closure
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2018, 14:34
Bob Viking

Received 508 Likes on 143 Posts
PN and Nutty

With regards to my suggestion I’m well aware the ship has almost certainly sailed. I also fully understand the things you’re saying.

However, back when the Army first started to take over and systematically ruin airfields, if somebody had suggested that keeping a set of steps (second hand from Heathrow or wherever), bowsers, assorted kit etc might be a good idea and explain the merits of an active airfield maybe the senior Pongos might have seen the benefits. Sure it might have only been useful for Tac AT, small transports or the occasionally diverted FJ but think of the difference it might have made to interoperability. And if RAF Valley can muster enough military people for a FOD plod I’m sure an army base could have drummed up a few.

I’m sure it was discussed back in the day and I realise it is a moot point but I still think it is unfair to just blame the Army for destroying airfields when perhaps it is the fault of the RAF for not highlighting their uses.

You all know I’m RAF so I’m not ‘crab-bashing’ but sometimes we are so protective of our own organisation we’re too quick to blame others.

Anyway, I’ve probably dragged this thread far too off piste already for which I apologise.

BV