PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2003, 22:15
Four Seven Eleven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How will it all work?

This thread has long since degenerated into a slag fest (without any help from me ), but I'll post a few questions anyway:

Scenario : B737 descending through class E airspace, being radar vectored for sequencing at a controlled aerodrome. The pilot spots an unidentified aircraft and determines that a collision risk exists . No traffic information has been passed by ATC. What happens now?[list=1][*]Does the pilot deviate from his vector/ route clearance?[*]Does the pilot deviate from his level assignment?[*]Does any deviation from a clearance count as a 'reportable incident', given that this is the primary/only means of 'separation' available under the circumstances?[*]If the answer is NO, then are TCAS RAs still 'reportable incidents'?[*]Does the pilot assume that the other aircraft was a VFR aircraft and that therefore no breadown of IFR-IFR separation has occurred?[*] What liability attaches to the B737 pilot/operator if their devaition from clearance causes a breakdown of separation with another IFR aircraft?[*]What calls are made to ATC in the event of deviating from clearance?[*]For the bean-counters: Does the deviating B737 maintain its position in the arrival sequence? (i.e. is ATC obliged to maintain its priority at the expense of other traffic which did not deviate from their clearance?[*]Have any operators yet provided RPT pilots with 'guidelines' as to how much 'self separation' to apply between themselves and unidentified aircraft, taking into account both operational and public perception factors. For that matter, had any companies done so for class G operations.[/list=1]

In particular, if anyone has relevant experience in how RPT jets operate in non-radar E airspace in the USA, your input would be very worthwhile.

Also, has anyone had any experience of IFR pick-up, VFR-on-top or VFR climb/descent since they came in?

Have these procedures provided the benefits you were expecting?

No names, no pack drill, but.... hands up who has requested IFR pickup in C?

(BTW, I know we're supposedly following some sort of hybrid, North American, US McNAS system, but introducing the term 'pick-up' into the Australian system is ...... un-Australian!!!! Surely we could have called it something like IFR Uncleared Transition in E - or IFR UTE for short