PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAF Dakota crash, Burnet, TX 21-7-18
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 23:49
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
While riding jump seat in the turbine DC-3 today, I watched carefully what the very experienced pilot did during the takeoff: On the airspeed alive call, control wheel pressed gently forward, and the tail coming up at about 40 knots. Power set and confirmed by 50 knots, and aircraft gently rotated off the runway at the bug speed of 82 knots. My comprehensive stall testing in this aircraft eleven years ago showed a stall speed of 59 to 57 KIAS. The wind was 12G20 right down the runway, and the variability of the headwind seemed very easily compensated by the use of bug speeds from the performance charts. I'm confident that had the winds been more severe, or more variable, the pilot would have allowed a little extra caution speed.

Directional control and pitch attitude control are not really related during takeoff. If the accident aircraft had a directional deviation, it would still have had a better outcome were the tail to be up, and the aircraft at flying speed before being allowed to become airborne. The sudden wing drop visible in the video is exactly what happened to me numerous times during stall testing of a turbine DC-3. Recovery was gentle if initiated before the stall had occurred. If the stall progressed to loss of control, it was demanding to recover with minimum upset. Recovery from a half turn incipient spin in t DC-3 will use up around 2000 feet of altitude for my experience.