PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CBT - no issues but how to 'prove'?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 22:22
bmair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBT - no issues but how to 'prove'?

I'm a student pilot, in the UK, with fewer than 10 hours of lessons but working towards going solo and achieving my PPL.

My Class 2 medical seemed fine, except when I declared that I had self-referred for CBT in 2016 under the new NHS 'Improved Access to Psychological Therapies' programme (search NHS IAPT on the web). This is because I'd been made redundant and was having relationship issues.

After six sessions, I was discharged and have been confirmed that no depression/anxiety or any other formal medical issue was diagnosed. My GP received only a letter confirming discharge, no mention of outcomes or diagnosis.

Unfortunately, the location at which I undertook CBT won't write me a letter to confirm everything is OK due to not having the "right insurance". My GP was unable to write anything specific about it except for stating there were no mental health issues recorded.

I've sent my AME as much as possible including an informal email from the CBT counsellor noting that they felt there was nothing to report (but obviously couldn't write a letter!). The AME is now saying this may need to be referred to the CAA for a decision. Could anyone clarify what that would entail, and how I could make this process as smooth as possible? I've read around the whole CAA site on this and there's not a specific flowchart for my situation.

I have read other threads about speaking to their consultant psychologist/psychiatrist but unsure if this applies for a Class 2 with technically no history of depression or anxiety. I've never received medication or asked for medication.

So in summary - I referred myself to CBT due to life events in 2016, I'm mentally healthy, but can't produce a letter confirming this. What might the next steps be from AME/CAA on this?

Thanks!