PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton And Linton-on-Ouse Closure
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 08:09
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Just This Once wrote:
The state of the base is alarming though on its DIO 'no-care & no-maintenance' plan.
How true! Ever since CFS moved out, the infrastructure has been left to rot. Driving past on the A15 you can see how run down and shabby this once proud V-force station, rebuilt with a 9000 ft runway at colossal expense in the late '50s (hence the bend in the A15), has become.

When I did my CFS course there, it was obvious that the place was beginning to deteriorate and certainly wasn't the place I'd known in happier days 10 years earlier. Such a pity. After passing my A2, I never went back nor would ever wish to.

Most of the quarters have already been flogged off and the Officers' Mess is truly a mess. There is little that could be done to restore the station to its previous glory, but there isn't really any need with such a small air force today. Sadly, the place now needs to be put out of its misery - perhaps RAFAT could relocate to Leeming?

As for Linton? Moving Basic Flying Training to Anglesey will be a challenge - and good luck persuading any QFIs to move...