PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2018, 21:06
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SQ380
Yes I agree with all that once the new A555 extension is open it will relieve a lot of the traffic problems around the airport currently

But in the long term it's bad planning typical UK no forward planning, the A555 extension will eventually extend from Hazel Grove to Bredbury this has been planned then shelved too many times over the last 40 years or more, the original plan was for it to be motorway from Bredbury to Manchester Airport which would then give Stockport it's own miniature orbital motorway, but more importantly it would take traffic off the M60/M56 which everyday tails back from Cheadle to Denton each rush hour and also tails back from M56 Lymm to Stockport everyday (even tonight I passed the cargo turn off at 4pm and got off the M60 at Portwood at 4.45pm a drive that would take no more than 5 minutes at less busy times)
When the new A555 opens it will be OK, but if and when the extension opens to Bredbury it will become horrendous, it will then be used for traffic coming from East Manchester and beyond heading to wales or M6 to avoid going through the bottle neck of Stockport in the rush hour,there's already too many roundabouts or lights on the new road especially at Poynton garden centre this will build up delays with locals also using the new road instead of building with bridges/slip roads (yes roundabouts/lights are cheaper) this will only become how the A34 Handforth bypass is now queues and more queues
Wow - all in three sentences...

The Bredbury extension has just been kicked into the long grass again, so it won't be happening for many years if at all - see here.
A6 to M60 Relief Road Statement SEMMMS
which contains this snippet (my bold) -

At the December meeting of Full Council, it was also agreed that a request be made to government to fund this next stage of business case development work, with the aim of undertaking the work in time for the next phase of large local major scheme bidding which was indicated to be later on this year. DfT have advised us that they have no current plans to fund feasibility work.

We will continue to work closely with DfT and TfGM to explore potential future funding opportunities to develop the proposal and develop the next stage of the business case. If there are no resources identified for feasibility work in the short term we will need to consider funding following the outcome of the SEMMMS refresh.

I wonder about all the traffic using the A34 / A6 which will now come past the Airport to access the M56 / M60 instead of going into Stockport or Cheadle. Of course there is no grade separation at the Airport save for the T2 roundabout. But no doubt the Highways engineers have done all their modelling...

And Curious Pax noted
That said my money’s on Christmas.....
but of course didn't say which year....