PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2018, 18:09
SQ380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A555 Bypass

Originally Posted by Curious Pax
While I share your pessimism about the new road opening by the advertised ‘late summer’, which gives them 2 months, it’s worth saying that the last stages of a new road can happen very quickly if it’s mainly tarmacing and putting up a few lampposts and roadsigns. The new road layout at the top of the motorway spur at MAN seemed to go from a mess to opening in a matter of days. That said my money’s on Christmas.....

Yes I agree with all that once the new A555 extension is open it will relieve a lot of the traffic problems around the airport currently

But in the long term it's bad planning typical UK no forward planning, the A555 extension will eventually extend from Hazel Grove to Bredbury this has been planned then shelved too many times over the last 40 years or more, the original plan was for it to be motorway from Bredbury to Manchester Airport which would then give Stockport it's own miniature orbital motorway, but more importantly it would take traffic off the M60/M56 which everyday tails back from Cheadle to Denton each rush hour and also tails back from M56 Lymm to Stockport everyday (even tonight I passed the cargo turn off at 4pm and got off the M60 at Portwood at 4.45pm a drive that would take no more than 5 minutes at less busy times)
When the new A555 opens it will be OK, but if and when the extension opens to Bredbury it will become horrendous, it will then be used for traffic coming from East Manchester and beyond heading to wales or M6 to avoid going through the bottle neck of Stockport in the rush hour,there's already too many roundabouts or lights on the new road especially at Poynton garden centre this will build up delays with locals also using the new road instead of building with bridges/slip roads (yes roundabouts/lights are cheaper) this will only become how the A34 Handforth bypass is now queues and more queues