PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 19th Jul 2018, 21:38
CAVOK4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxtrottDelta
Hi Folks,

because of the fantastic information this thread provides, I want to share my experiences with the Ryanair Assessment as well.

Has been there on the end of June. First let me say that they try to ease you by creating a nice atmosphere. Especially the retired captain who is convoying you all over the day, doing the introduction, the SIM Briefing and even the SIM Assessment, is really funny and telling you a lot of jokes over the day. After the SIM Briefing you will be informed about the sponsored cadet programme and the conditions of the following contracts with Ryanair. If I understood it right every cadet is being offered a permanent RYR Contract after Line Training.

Interview:

The Assessment process started for me with the technical and HR interview. This was conducted by a really nice HR Lady and a kind and well experienced Captain.
HR questions were typical, as mentioned here many times before:

- Tell us about your career
- Tell us about your flight school
- Why do you want to be a pilot?
- What was your worst experience during pilot training?
- Notice Period, sponsored cadet programme, etc

After this part the captain took over and asked me questions in relation to my current Job, thereafter the typical ones followed:

- How do Thunderstorms form?
- How is a GPS working?
- How many redundancy systems has a 737?
- Explain the hydraulic system of the 737

Altogether it is an fair and enjoyable interview just the captain is trying to irritate you from time to time by asking questions during you are about to answer his proper question. Just stay cool and answer as good as you know.

After the interview, I and my SIM Partner went into the SIM and I started as PM first.

As briefed before (you have plenty of time to brief and go through the expected flight with your partner) we went out of Liverpool RWY 27, WAL 2T Departure, which is an easy one, I think.
When passing WAL you got some advices in regard of Air work. Normal rate turns, steep turns, high speed and low speed, were the tasks we had to fly. Now we got the instruction to proceed to LPL NDB with QDM of 340 from an actual QDM of 330. Remember the QDM rules, Push the head - pull the tail, or turn the needle (RMI) right by flying to the left and vice versa. After that we were advised to enter the hold overhead LPL from the southeast, which means, that we had to enter with the parallel entry procedure. Just when passing the fix we got a Smoke Emergency from the cabin and proceed further with DODAR and NITS. We declared the emergency via ATC, asked for a direct landing in Liverpool, briefed ourselves and informed the cabin about. Now the standard ILS RWY 27 followed without any specials expect a loss of GS Signal at 600ft but with visual contact to the Runway. My partner decided for a Go-Around and we started the missed approach procedure. Thereafter we were placed to the beginning of ILS approach RWY 27 again to conduct a second approach which has been finished successfully.
Same programme for me as PF with the GS loss, too. However I continued the approach in regard of visual contact to the runway and PAPI.

As written here many times before, they want to see good CRM skills and high teamwork capabilites. They know well, that you cannot control the 737 perfectly but want to see basic flying skills.

Prepared myself with pprune and booked a SIM session at Simtech in Dulbin the day before, which was really helpful.

After approx. 1,5h in the simulator, the assessment ended at lunch time and I felt really relieved and left the Ryanair HQ with good feelings.

Got the positive e-mail the day after J

Wishing you best of luck!
Thank you @foxtrottDelta!
Such an helpful and smart post!
Definitely usefull!!
Thank you really much,

Best luck with your new job!
Cheers