PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF/Alliance in the news>>
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2018, 00:57
LostProperty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As somebody interested in aviation but without any skin in the game it amuses me how nearly every airline in Australia, at various times, “loans” its call sign to a bloody old Alliance Fokker. I have no doubt that they are well built and still serviceable aircraft and if necessary I would travel in one but here’s the rub – these flights mostly operate regional services where there is little or no competition and hence steep airfares that the carriers claim are necessary to maintain the services. This argument is diminished somewhat by the use of such old aircraft, particularly on runs like BNE – ISA that used to have B737 services and where now the country’s two biggest airlines “compete” using Alliance Fokkers.There is an apparent business case for smaller jet airliners in Australia otherwise Alliance would not have so many out on lease. Notwithstanding Virgin has recently disposed of their E Jets, now that Airbus and Boeing effectively own Bombardier and Embraer, might we eventually see some new small jets operating here or will they still be carting us around in second and third hand Fokkers and B717s in 2030?