PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing (787) speed control and FMAs
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2018, 03:40
BuzzBox

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
If I dare ask: re the various comments about approaches and the MCP speed window not being open...on the likes of the T7 once VNAV has gone into approach mode (triggered by any flap being selected and/or a couple of other parameters that escape me ATM) the MCP window will automatically be open, you have no choice in the matter, so you should certainly never end up flying a VNAV approach with the MCP window closed ...does the 78 use similar logic or is it even more mysterious than I imagine?

As for the HOLD FMA...as has been said to a simple soul it means the autothrust backdrive to the thrust levers is disconnected and therefore you can “hold” the thrust levers and manipulate them as required, if e.g you are descending in VNAV PTH, below the profile and the dozy machine hasn’t put any power on you can do it yourself.
I fly Airbus these days and it's been a while since I flew the B777, but I don't remember the B777 VNAV behaving as you described. As I recall, the MCP speed window would close (if open) when the FMC transitions to 'on approach'. The speed window could then be opened and the VNAV would stay in VNAV PTH instead of changing to VNAV SPD. I think the B787 is similar. There was a discussion about the B777 case many moons ago: LNAV/VNAV Approach.