PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rossair accident in 2017 - training and checking assessment
Old 18th Jul 2018, 00:43
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
On the basis that it is preferable to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, the way I would run a charter operation with a Conquest - or any light twin - these days would be:
Annual practice session, then IR-MEA test in a full motion simulator - King Air or Metro being the ideal weapons because they are as demanding as anything one is likely to encounter in charter. To satisfy the CASA requirements, to induct a new pilot I would cover appropriate differences training in the classroom, on the ramp, and during revenue line operations. ICUS is required anyway for a new pilot. An annual route check in which emergencies may be discussed but of course not practiced meets the other requirements. This approach costs the operator nothing other than the annual simulator and check pilot being on board during revenue flights.
Put all this in the Company Training & Checking exposition and adhere to it. Adhering to it is the key because any sniff that all this in the manual is mere window dressing and CASA will rightly crucify you.
To those operators that say sending pilots to simulator once a year is too expensive, I would say you can't afford to be in aviation, you have no place in aviation, get the f@#k out of aviation.
If CASA objected to the Exposition I would argue 'SAFETY' and take 'em on. Force them to mandate asymmetric in the actual aeroplane.
There would not be an FOI in the system so stupid, surely?.