PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 16:10
GKOC41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAlpha320
Having recently joined from EZY I am genuinely surprised at the lack of rostering agreements, fatigue management system and the attitude towards fatigue in general at the company. Looking at several rosters guys/girls are working 6 on 1 off 6 on in certain cases (perhaps overtime) but Im sure a majority being forced to do it in order to get even the slightest bit of control later on in the month. 5/4/5/3 or the FRV pattern back at easy was FAR less fatiguing and the real lack of days off is crazy. Yes- you work fewer block hours, but how is sitting in the pilots bar for 2 hours waiting for an aircraft any less fatiguing? Duty hours are through the roof and the inefficiency of the system really is astonishing. FR are working 5/4 and yet BA see it fit that you can work 7 on 1 off? I appreciate it allows for overtime and moving trips around but when there is so much in overtime days are closed anyway! Grass isn't always greener...!
MA320
One of the FRM requirements of EASA FTL asks just that. question what happens when crew members flying on days off for overtime etc and what processes are in place by the AOC to manage it - The Airlines answer (not just BA) is hum - the FTL limits. With the extended rest recovery periods of EASA FTL you can work crews extremely hard if you so wish (just need to look around Europe to see this especially with a weak regulator)
From what i've seen at UK AOC's most are behaving responsibly particularly if BALPA are keeping them on their toes. Not sure about BA though wasn't there a famous quote "There is no fatigue at BA"